1. Rhythm and Routine - Do what you can to get into a rhythm/routine - especially great for children during times of stress/transition and also excellent for adults as rest, routine and rhythm nourish our stress glands(the adrenal glands).
2. Drink water - helpful in clearing out stress hormones, keeping the brain hydrated and resourceful, grounding and so on ...I've found I really have to be conscious of this daily with having to boil our water. We all know we feel better when we stay hydrated and a hydrated body sure handles the sun better as well.
3. Food - Eat. and try to eat regularly - eating and sleeping and waking at about the same time every day is a huge support to the body's internal rhythms and innate ability to heal. I have met many people who have commented on how eating food - never mind healthy food got put way down the priority list and also how wonderful receiving food as a gift from a friend is.
4. Rescue Remedy is a gentle, wonderful remedy to help deal with any shock and stress. You can buy this at Nutters/health food store and put it in your water bottle - 5-10 drops and sip on it during the day. Excellent for kids (and if you're flying anywhere this summer).
5. Adrenal support - B's, Vitamin C, Magnesium, Calcium are nutritional supplements that nourish the adrenals. I like the formulas by Innate that are at Nutters. There are many Gemnos (Sequoia, Ribes) and Homeopathics that support as well (HAD, Surreninum 4CH).
6. Homeopathic Remedies - Aconite - great for shock. Ignatia and Nat mur - for processing grief.
8. Bodywork - Yoga Therapy, Craniosacral, Bowen, Acupuncture, Massage, Snuggles, Reiki ... whatever you enjoy that gets you out of your head and into your body and the moment.
9. Laugh, Dance, Walk Outside, Sing! Keeps things open and moving. Play with your friends. (-:
10. Breathe. A simple powerful practice is to take 5 long deep breaths when you think of it. And have the exhale be what you focus on and for it to be longer than the inhale - double if you can. Yoga in general - especially ones to support 1st, 2nd and 4th chakra - when you do the postures, take a moment to pause and feel the sensations in your body … connecting with your sensations helps you regulate your nervous system.