Nut Crust Berry Pie for Breakfast!
Gratitude to the Folks at The Green Door Restaurant for the base recipe and to Dorise for introducing me.
Before you start, preheat oven to 350C.
1 cup large flake rolled oats
½ cup almonds
1 cup barley/millet flour – you can use less flour and add more ground almonds too – experiment! (-:
¼ tsp cinnamon
a pinch of salt
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/6 - 1/3 cup maple syrup
- Oil and flour one 10 inch pie plate.
- Grind oats, almonds, salt and cinnamon and put in a bowl.
- Add the oil and maple syrup and mix it into a soft dough.
- Press into pie plate.
- Bake at 350F for 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow to cool while preparing filling.
4 cups berries, fresh or frozen
¼ cup agar flakes (high in calcium – in seaweed section at stores)
2 cups juice (I usually add a little water to the frozen blueberries/strawberries and then use that liquid)
1/3 cup arrowroot
¼ cup maple syrup – I’ve used half this and it’s still super yum.
- Mix the arrowroot and maple syrup in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat the liquid and add agar and stir.
- When the agar dissolves fully, add arrowroot and maple syrup mix.
- Stir until slightly thick and then add the blueberries and mix well.
- Pour into baked crust and refrigerate until set: about 2 hours.