Healthy Rice Crispy Treats
A yummy treat for kids and adults.
1 tsp. grapeseed oil
1/2 cup brown rice syrup
2 Tbs. cashew butter/tahini
3 tsp. vanilla
2 cups dry puffed millet
2 cups cups dry puffed rice
2 cups crisp brown rice cereal
1/2 cup pumpkin/sunflower seeds
1/2 cup currants/cranberries/chopped dates.
-Put oil in a large pot and heat. -Add rice syrup and nut butter. -Add cereal and mix well with a spatula. -Stir in optional ingredients. -Press into a 9 by 13 inch pan. -With slightly wet hands press in mixture. -Let mixture set to room temperature. -Slice and serve. -Lasts a week in an airtight container.
Warm festive drinks
Easy Spiced Apple Cider (Serves 4)
1 - 64 oz Apple Cider
2 Lemons, juiced
2 Cinnamon Sticks
1. Place all the ingredients (including the juiced lemon halves) in
a saucepan and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
2. Serve (obviously don't ladle the cloves, cinnamon or lemons into the cups!).
Mock Chai(no caffeine)
1.5 c. unsweetened rice milk/almond milk/soymilk
1.5 c. pure water
1 cinnamon stick
Seeds from 5 cardamon pods
1/8 t. fennel seeds
Pinch grated nutmeg
1 t. vanilla
Stevia as desired
Combine water and milk in a pot and bring to a simmer.
Add herbs and spices and simmer for between 15-60 minutes depending on the desired strength.
Add stevia prior to serving. Makes 2 servings. Doubles/quadruples easily!
Tasty Berry Pie
Preheat oven to 375
Nut Crust (can use this crust for any pie)
1 cup large flake rolled oats
1/2 cup almonds
1 cup rice/barley/other flour
1/4 tsp cinnamon
a pich of salt
1/3 cup of oil (grapeseed/organic Canola)
1/3 cup maple syrup
4 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
1/4 cup agar flakes (at Nutters - high on Calcium)
2 cups blueberry juice or apple juice
1/3 cup arrowroot
1/4 cup maple syrup
1. Grind oats, almonds, salt and cinnamon in blender/food processor.
2. In a bowl, mix the flour with the oat mixture.
3. Add the oil and maple syrup and mix into a soft dough. Press into pie plate.
4. Bake at 375 F for 20 - 25 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool while preparing the filling.
5. Mix arrowroot and maple syrup in a small bowl and set aside. Heat the juice and agar and stir till agar is fully dissolved. Add the arrowroot-maple syrup mix and stir until slightly thick. Turn off heat.
6. Add the blueberries and mix well. Pour into baked crust and put in fridge for about 2 hours.
Barb's Yummy Bars
1 cup brown rice syrup
3 Tbls of almond butter
1 teaspoon of vanilla or maple extract
1 cup crisp rice
1 cup puffed rice
1 cup puffed millet
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup currants or raisins
1/2 cup flax seed or sesame seed
1/2 cup of slivered almonds
1/2 cup of pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup of sunflower seeds
In a large pot, combine over medium heat to melt together the first three ingredients.
Then combine and add remaining ingredients. Press into a 9x11 pan and refrigerate.